So as I sit here online surfing around, drinking my Leinenkugel that I opened with my forearm, I discovered some things. It seems I am part of a new, growing breed- "the stay at home dad." I've considered myself that, with some reluctance I admit, for the past 2 plus years or so. It would appear as evidenced by online searching, we are a growing number. And more then that, we are content with it. I guess I am growing to embrace this more as I realize I'm not so alone. In my experience, when I share with someone what I primarily do (I do work for money part-time), the reactions range from "ohh, hmm", "oh, Mr. Mom" to "oh that is really cool, how neat", "good for you", "good for your kids" to the conversation literally ending right there (my favorite).
A little background.
A couple years back, I did some online searching for things "stay at home dad." Depressingly, there was almost nothing; actually I think there was nothing. That didn't help me as I was feeling lousy about my wife and I's work/home/child plan. For anyone not in the know, I spent the first 3 years or so out of college working in the corporate world for Dell. It sucked. During that time, I supported my wife as she finished school at UT, with an extra year due to the birth of our first child. It was literally 2 days before Caleb's first birthday, I lost my job at Dell the final time. There had been other times of restructuring, outsourcing, or just plain your not needed, but this time, enough was enough. I took the severance package, said many prayers and we leaped. We lived on the severance the last 3 months or so of Veronica finishing school. Just as it ran out, she was graduated and got hired on at Seton. Funny God thing how that works out I say. I suppose that two days before Caleb's birthday that I lost my Dell job for the final time, was when I started my new, and most challenging role as a stay at home dad. Up until then, I worked, Veronica schooled, and Caleb was baby sat by very awesome and gracious people in our church. Now it was possible for one of his parents to do the job, as it should be. So Veronica finishes school, I baby sit my son, we live off savings, and then she begins to work.
After Dell, I had a 9 month stint working as a parks technician for Travis County. It was not a 6 figure salary, but more a less a working vacation from the hell that was Dell for 3 years. Being outdoors was so opposite Dell and great for my spirit. Then an opportunity came up to partner with a friend doing aquarium service. That went on for about 15 months and was really cool. The hands on, and creative aspects of the work are priceless. It worked out so well too, that we needed some extra, better then parks tech income, and he needed a partner while he cared for his dying wife. Again, another funny God thing I say. The time came that the partnership ended and I set out on my own with my own DBA. Well it hasn't been what I hoped. Actually it doesn't exist as no one called for my services. I can honestly say, owell, it was experiment anyways. A dipping of the toe in the water. I think the economy isn't right for that kind of spending of disposable income for some dude with a bucket to bath your fish, plus my heart is not 100 percent in it. I feel there is something more for me in life work wise. We will see. I did finish college and have a mostly useless bachelor's degree and debt to show for it! (The debt is 4 months away from being eradicated..) So the education is there.
Anyway, that brings us up to today I suppose. Through all that, I was stay at home dad #1, not just park tech josh, aquarium man josh, or my own business josh. While my wife has advanced in the ranks of the Seton RN network, and is mostly content too, I have raised not only Caleb to almost 4 years of life without too many near deaths, but also Benjamin to almost 2 years of life without too many near deaths. After all, that is the core of the thing. To prevent your children from self inflicted death or death otherwise. I type this as I hear Benjamin plow into a wall and begin to wail. Ah, a job well done indeed Joshua!
I will list below some links to websites I found tonight that lifted my spirits about this whole thing. It is hard to carry on sometimes when seemingly the whole world says your wrong, and the fruit of all your efforts is not readily in view (I guess it won't be till the boys are grown and decidedly not criminals or otherwise malcontents).
My wife is an amazing person. Talk to her for 10 minutes and you will agree. She has been gifted to do what she is doing and I know she has the utmost positive impact on people she encounters, both patient and co-worker each week. And I love the heck out of her. I think we are finally getting to a place financially where we can do more (no debt) and have more time altogether as a family(more paid time off for V).
As for me, my weekly activities are as follows, but by no means limited too:
Activities director, gourmet cook, mediator, playmate, one who operates the tv, mediator, bather of smelly/toxic kids, waste management and dump disposal, mediator, budgeter, grocery recon and supplies tech, laundry put awayer (Veronica does the washing :D), vacuum technician, mediator, principle, teacher, teachers assistant, booger removal services, dog walker, mail getter, automotive tech, handy man/remodeler, grounds and lawn care management/workforce, mediator, gardner, security and law enforcement, judge and jury, and I still workout 4-5 times a week...
"Mr. Mom?!?" ...Uhh, no, that's Mr. Dad thanks.
http://www.utexas.edu/features/2008/fathers/
http://www.rebeldad.com/index.html
http://austin-sahds.tripod.com/
http://www.denverpost.com/business/ci_6155199 - notice the stay at home mom, is worth more ;)
funny, but true.
http://www.lookydaddy.com/weblog/2006/11/ask_the_dad_2.html
Most Importantly..
Psalm 127
1 comment:
I don't think there's anything wrong with being a stay at home dad. I don't think it'll have any ill effects on your boys in the long term. I have felt for y'all, knowing that at times you both wish it was the other way around, but y'all have done beautifully in doing what ya gotta do.
And taking care of 2 little boys all day - way harder than most other jobs, even harder than working Dell, I would think ;) You are indispensable! You just don't get the pats on the back, raises and bonuses that you would there.
Post a Comment